Marriage Licences

Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Monday to Friday) by appointment
Licence fee: $145 Cash, debit or electronic transfer (E-transfers must be received 24 hours prior)

Contact the City Clerk’s office by phone at 705-759-5388 or email at to make an appointment. Marriage Licences are only valid for 90 days so please ensure your ceremony will be within this timeframe from your appointment.

The Marriage Licence Application Form must be fully completed.

A marriage licence can only be issued personally to the applicants.  If only one applicant is present they must have the other’s required identification and/or documentation.

Two pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification must include a photo. Examples of government-issued identification:
  • government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificate
  • valid passport
  • record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • valid driver’s licence
  • valid Ontario photo card
Applicants must be at least 16 years old. Applicants under the age of 18 require both parents’ consent. Please see issuer for further details.

Previously married applicants:
Applicants who have previously been married must present the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce.  This document is required for recording purposes only and is not retained by this office.

If the divorce was granted outside Canada, a licence cannot be issued without authorization from the Registrar General’s office.

Previously married applicants should fill out the application using their maiden (birth) name. The former married name would only be used if there had been a formal legal name change at the time of the previous marriage.

The licence is valid anywhere in Ontario, and is valid for three months from the date of issue.

There are no requirements respecting blood tests, medical certificates or residency.

Applicants should ensure that the person performing the marriage ceremony is an authorized official (a minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage Act or a judge or justice of the peace). Check online at Registered Marriage Officiants to access a list of religious officials who are registered to perform marriages or call Service Ontario at 1-800-461-2156. 

For more informaiton please visit

The City of Sault Ste. Marie does not perform marriage ceremonies.

Contact Us





Civic Centre - Level 4

Our Team