City Compensation for Your Costs

The City will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. The City of Sault Ste. Marie only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained.

We suggest that you contact your own insurer regarding damages. If the insurer believes that the City is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.

When a Third Party Damages City Property

Whenever damage to City property is caused by a third party, the City of Sault Ste. Marie seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party (e.g. for damage to property such as street lights, transit shelters, guardrails etc.).

When Claims Involve Contracted Companies

The City of Sault Ste. Marie frequently enters into contracts with independent companies (contractors) who perform work on the City's behalf. The City's agreements with the contractors contain a strict requirement that they respond directly to claims for any damage or injury to members of the public that they may be held responsible for.

Upon receipt of information that a contractor had control over the accident location at the time of your loss, your claim will be forwarded to the contractor and you will be advised in writing when this has happened. The contractor should acknowledge receipt of your claim and identify a contact person who will be responsible for investigating your claim.

The contractor should conduct an investigation and make a decision regarding your claim. If the contractor determines that they were responsible for your loss, they will resolve your claim with you directly.

If the contractor determines their work met reasonable and appropriate construction standards, they may deny your claim. In this case, their communication to you will provide the results of their investigation and clearly explain their decision. Should you disagree with the contractor's decision and you still wish to pursue your claim, you have the option of pursuing the contractor by proceeding with legal action.

Contact Us




Civic Centre - Level 4

Our Team