Information for Voters

Eligibility to Vote

The next regular municipal election to elect a Mayor, City Councillors, and school board trustees will be held on Monday, October 24, 2022. Eligible electors will be casting ballots for the following offices:
  • Mayor - one elected at large
  • City Councillor - two elected per ward (5 wards)
  • School Board Trustee
  • Algoma District School Board (5 by ward)
  • Huron Superior Catholic District School Board (6 at large)
  • Conseil Scolaire de District du Grand Nord de L’Ontario (1 elected at large for the following geographic area: City of Sault Ste. Marie, the Township of Prince and the Sault Ste. Marie Locality (unorganized townships).
  • Conseil Scolaire de District Catholique du Nouvel-Ontario (1 elected at large from the following geographic area: City of Sault Ste. Marie, the organized Townships of Prince, Laird, Johnson, Tarbutt and Tarbutt Additional, MacDonald Meredith and Aberdeen Additional, and the Sault Ste. Marie Locality (unorganized townships).

Who can vote?

A person is entitled to vote in a municipal election if they are a qualified elector. That means, on Voting Day, you must be:
  • a resident of the City of Sault Ste. Marie or an owner or tenant of land in the City, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
  • a Canadian citizen;
  • at least 18 years old; and
  • not prohibited from voting by law.
  • If you are not a resident of the City of Sault Ste. Marie, to vote for a school board trustee you must be an owner or tenant of residential property in the area of jurisdiction of the school board and not have cast a vote for the same school board where you reside.

Who cannot vote?

The following are prohibited from voting in a municipal election:
  • serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
  • a corporation
  • acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996

Voting for students

If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your "home" municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.
As a student and a resident of the City of Sault Ste. Marie, if you are unable to physically vote in the Sault Ste. Marie Municipal Election, you may appoint another elector as a proxy to vote on your behalf.

Voters' List

You are encouraged to use MPAC's online tool, to confirm whether you are on the preliminary list of electors. Allowing you to take an active role in maintaining accurate and up-to-date electoral information, this tool can be used to make updates to your information where incorrectly recorded, to add a name to the enumeration and/or to change your school support for electoral purposes.

Voter Identification

All electors will be required to present a piece of identification in order to receive a ballot at their voting place. The identification must show your name and address. Photo identification is not required. Electors who cannot present an acceptable proof of identity and residence will have to make a statutory declaration.
Many documents can be used to show a person’s name and address. You may present one of the following:
  • An Ontario driver's licence.
  • An Ontario Health Card (photo card).
  • An Ontario Photo Card.
  • An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion).
  • A cancelled personalized cheque.
  • A mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario.
  • An insurance policy or insurance statement.
  • A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution.
  • A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario.
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency of such a government.
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada).
  • An income tax assessment notice.
  • A Child Tax Benefit Statement.
  • A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E.
  • A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS).
  • A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P).
  • A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions.
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works.
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007.
  • A property tax assessment.
  • A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement.
  • A CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities.
  • A hospital card or record.
  • A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution.
  • A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home.
  • A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission.
  • A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer.
  • A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school.
Please note that your Voter Notification cannot be used as a piece of identification.


Voting Day is Monday, October 24, 2022, from 10 am to 8 pm.
Advance Vote Days will be announced.
Please note that this is general information and that additional information on voting places will be made available in the months leading up to Voting Day.

2022 Voters' Guide

Contact Us





Civic Centre - Level 4