Jump to Main Content
 

The City of Sault Ste. Marie

 
 
 

Terrance Avenue Kitchen Fire

September 07, 2016

During the evening hours of September 6th, 2016, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services responded to a 911 call in the 100 block of Terrance Avenue. Arriving crews found significant smoke throughout the home. Fire crews confirmed the fire was extinguished and ventilated the building. Further investigation revealed a fire within the oven created the smoke. A neighbour assisted the lone occupant and put out the fire with a portable extinguisher. The loan occupant was treated on scene by Sault Ste. Marie Paramedics for minor smoke inhalation.

"The occupant inadvertently turned on the oven not realizing there were plastic pots being stored inside," stated Investigating officer Rocco Celetti. "This is a very dangerous practice and certainly could have turned into something a lot worse."

Fire Service wants to remind the public that historically, cooking is the leading cause of all, injuries, property loss and fire fatalities in our community. Keep all combustible materials away from the stove area when in use and do not use the oven for storage. Never leave cooking unattended.
Share this page:

Contact Us

Phone
705-759-2500

Email
info@cityssm.on.ca

Fax
705-759-2310

TTY
1-877-688-5528

Location
99 Foster Drive
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 5X6