Jump to Main Content
 

The City of Sault Ste. Marie

 
 
 

Fire Services Responds to Smoldering Couch

July 27, 2018

On Friday, July 27, 2018, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service crews were called to a reported residential fire in the west-end of the city.

Shortly after 7 a.m., fire crews responded to a couch that was smoldering in a two-storey dwelling in the 300 block of Sixth Avenue. Crews removed the couch from the residence and hosed it down. The main floor was ventilated to clear smoke from the residence.

There were no working smoke alarms on the main floor of the residence or in the upstairs apartment. "Having working smoke alarms provides people with the much needed time to escape a residence safely." said Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle. "Working smoke alarms need to be installed on every storey and outside all sleeping areas in the home - fire safety needs to be a priority."

There is no damage to the dwelling or the upstairs apartment. There were no injuries to report.
Share this page:

Contact Us

Phone
705-759-2500

Email
info@cityssm.on.ca

Fax
705-759-2310

TTY
1-877-688-5528

Location
99 Foster Drive
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 5X6