Jump to Main Content
 

The City of Sault Ste. Marie

 
 
 

Beat the Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide Awareness

February 13, 2017

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services recently attended numerous carbon monoxide related occurrences. To prevent carbon monoxide (CO) in your home, ensure your CO alarm is in full working order and that all fuel-burning appliances are inspected annually.

"You must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage," said Public Educator Aaron Gravelle. "For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of the home according to manufacturer's instructions."

CO is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless, and odourless gas that can be deadly. Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, and can lead to loss of consciousness or even death.

If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately, and call 9-1-1 from outside the building.

With the treacherous winter season in Sault Ste. Marie, Fire Services would like to remind the public to keep all vents clear from snow, as well as to regularly test all CO and smoke alarms in your home to ensure they are in proper working order. It's the law!
Share this page:

Contact Us

Phone
705-759-2500

Email
info@cityssm.on.ca

Fax
705-759-2310

TTY
1-877-688-5528

Location
99 Foster Drive
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 5X6