Fire Services: West End Fire
February 25, 2015
In the late hours of Monday, February 23, 2015, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services responded to a reported bedroom fire in the 100 block of Albert Street West.
Arriving fire crews quickly brought the fire under control which limited the damage to the room of origin. The remainder of the occupancy received minor smoke damage throughout.
Further investigation determined the fire to be a result of combustible material in contact with a faulty electric heater. During the investigation, it was further determined that the smoke alarm, which protected the apartment, was intentionally disconnected. As a result, the tenant was issued a provincial offences ticket in the amount of $235.00.
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services would like to remind homeowners to ensure they maintain safe clearances from all heating equipment and also test their smoke alarms monthly.