Jump to Main Content
 

The City of Sault Ste. Marie

 
 
 

Fire Services: Fossil Fuel Heaters

February 19, 2015

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services (SSMFS) would like to remind residents to keep their heating appliance air intake and discharge vents free and clear.

The recent extreme cold temperatures and snow can cause air intake and discharge vents to freeze over resulting in little or no fresh air being taken in and combustion gases from being properly discharged. Any heating/cooking device that uses fossil fuels requires oxygen to provide efficient combustion and proper ventilation is critical in order to remove potentially harmful gases from a structure.

Portable fossil fuel heaters are occasionally used as auxiliary heat sources and they also require proper intake and ventilation.

Here are a few safety tips to consider when using portable space heaters:
  • Use only CSA, ULC approved portable space heaters that have been designed for indoor use
  • Always follow manufacturers recommendations…read instructions thoroughly
  • Provide adequate ventilation and slightly open a window whenever possible
  • Keep space heaters a minimum of 1M (3 feet) from any combustible materials
  • Turn off portable space heaters when you are not in the room and before going to bed
  • Be sure to have a working Carbon Monoxide Alarm properly installed
Residents who have concerns or questions regarding space heaters can contact SSMFS Inspection Division at 705-949-3377.
Share this page:

Contact Us

Phone
705-759-2500

Email
info@cityssm.on.ca

Fax
705-759-2310

TTY
1-877-688-5528

Location
99 Foster Drive
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 5X6