Francis Hector Clergue has been recognized as a person of national historical significance. He was born on August 28, 1856 in Brewer, Maine.
Clergue arrived in Sault Ste. Marie in 1894 when he went to work for a group of Philadelphia financiers and investors. Clergue recognized the potential that the areas natural resources possessed and capitalized on it, developing multiple industries in Sault Ste. Marie and the surrounding area leaving a lasting impact on the community.
The lower stone story of the Blockhouse dates back to 1819, making it the second oldest stone building northwest of Toronto.
In 1894, American entrepreneur Francis Hector Clergue purchased the land and all its holdings including the abandoned powder magazine, which was the only viable building remaining on the old HBC property. Clergue liked the location of this property given its close proximity to his pulp and paper mill. Clergue added the finishing touches; by building a wall in the middle of the room to divide the magazine into two parts. The back room was used as a kitchen and the front was used for a reception area. Clergue pierced the walls and put windows in to allow natural light to enter the building. The upper storey is comprised of solid cedar logs that are of a thickness great enough to support the living quarters of a cantilevered architectural style.